Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Daily Light Musings

Rose Hill Hellos from the garden!

We are having August heat in June, so gardening by "how we've always done it" does not apply to this season! My friend Shirley has already had two tomato harvest--we usually are racing to see who can have the first ripe tomato by July 4th.

Yes, the times, they are a-changing.

However, God never changes. He is never surprised at how things turn out. As I was reading Daily Light this morning (June 16), I was struck by the Joshua 22:5 verse (NKJ), saying that we are "take careful heed to do the commandment and the law . . . to love the Lord your God, to walk in all His ways, to keep His commandments, to hold fast to Him, and to serve Him with all your heart and with all your soul."

I get the serving part, I get the obeying commands part. All gods demand service and obedience. However, the Big "G" God, the living God, the Creator of the Universe God--He wants our love first. When love is the first element in our relationship with God, then service and obedience are not given grudgingly.

This morning I have dug trenches, prepared two new plant beds, organized unrolled weed blocker material, put together the replacement finish mower (my truck tire ran over the last one's back wheel--BAD TRUCK!), and then I sat in the swing under the big trees in the shade to drink my weight in water---all the while pondering what kind of God this is, Who wants my love first--maybe because He knows my love will be my best gift, far exceeding my feeble service and faltering obedience?

1 comment:

Stacy K said...

Makes you stop and think!