Thursday, August 6, 2009

Who Wants to Quit?

Welcome to the Table, Friends and Strangers. You'll have to serve yourself this morning; I'm too tired to get up from this chair.

Ever want to quit?

Maybe it's a rhetorical question.
Maybe I had one too many glasses of iced tea last night.
Maybe I haven't had time to myself to recharge.
Maybe I can't make everyone happy.
Maybe this is my real life, not a dream or a movie.

Maybe I need Jesus.

Matthew 11: 28-30--"[Jesus said] 'Come to Me, all who labor and are heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. (29) Take My yoke upon you, and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy, and My burden is light.'"

I see four action verbs in those sentences: come, take, learn, find.

If I don't come to Jesus, none of the others will happen. As I read these verses, I realize I try to take and learn and find without ever coming.

I think I'll try coming before quitting.

Would you like some more iced tea? I think I can get up to serve you now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Roseanne. I've been in a really bad place for several months, financially, spiritually, mentally and physically. I've been angry, confused and most of all sad. I've attempted to pray and felt disconnected and unfocused. After almost 8 months of this I am finally able to cry. Today I prayed that God would just open my eyes, soften my heart and give me His peace. Your words were like a balm to my soul. I believe I am on road out of this dark valley and thankfully Jesus can take my burdens so I can concentrate on the climb. Thank you.