Thursday, July 23, 2009

Day 1 in the New World

I still use a fountain pen...the kind that is refilled from a glass Sheaffer Skrip bottle with the lip inside for easier filling. I have old phones...the kind that attach to the wall with a cord and ring with a bell and dial with fingers in holes. I have an oil ceiling lamp over my sink that I light when I wash dishes at night. The clocks in my living room tick and chime the hour and half-hour and must be wound daily.

Sticking my thumb out in the highway of this new "social media" is like hitchhiking on another planet; I just came over a hill, and life as I knew it was changed. I can still look over my shoulder and recognize "familiar"; however, as I turn my face to the present, it is more like the future science fiction authors described when Eisenhower was President.

However, my people have always been pioneers. My maternal grandmother's grandfather braved the trail in a covered wagon to bring his family safely from Texas to the mountains of Tennessee. Surely I can step onto this new path, looking back to where I came from, gaining courage and strength to continue on the new Way.

Howdie, Friends, my name is RoseAnne. You are welcome here.



No comments: