Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Pray for Mrs.Elizabeth

Welcome back to my Table, Friends and Strangers--all are welcome here!

I am taking this opportunity to ask all who believe in a God Who hears and answers prayers to lift up Mrs. Elizabeth Crunk, my ninety-year-old friend and the woman who is the subject of the last chapter of my book, The Stories I Keep.

Mrs. E. fell yesterday evening around 6:00, horribly fracturing the femur of her good, left leg. Four years ago she broke the right femur and pulled the hip ball from the socket, damage requiring a plate, screws, eighteen days in rehab (instead of 4-6 weeks), and these past four years of learning to walk more slowly and live with considerably more pain and stiffness.

Sometime this afternoon, Wednesday, July 29, Mrs. E. will have surgery to have a rod and screw placed in her bone to bring all the pieces back together. I arrived at the hospital about 6:45 p.m. and left this morning at 9:00. I do not remember observing someone in as much pain as my friend.

At some point, I asked Mrs. Elizabeth, "How is your courage, Mrs. E.? Is it strong?" Looking into my eyes for a long moment and then with a grimace so sad it almost made me cry, this 5'3" tired fighter said, "I'll try, Rose."

You know, Friend, the more I think about what Mrs. E. said, the more I think those words shine light into the darkness--to try, not to give up or give in, even if your husband died, leaving you with 45 Jersey cows to milk by hand at 4 a.m. and 4 p.m.; even if you had no children to leave the farm as an inheritance, and none of the rest of the younger family cared about the land; even if you were taking care of your 102-year-old momma, who told you one morning to quit your job at the Post Office just 6 months before qualifying for retirement--and you declare it was worth the 8 months you spent with her; even if you just got back on your feet from another devastating injury to your leg and you live alone.

Yes, Life is hard, and you may be ready to give up. However, remember Mrs. Elizabeth Crunk, who right now is in surgery and may wake up to find her old life is gone forever and a much more limited, pain-filled one is left in its place, where folks are already wondering which antique piece of furniture they are going to get if you die.....GIVE THEM A RUN FOR THE MONEY--TRY, THEN LIVE.

You are welcome to sit at this Table as long as you need to find the courage to fight to try, or at least to find the "want to" to "want to." All the folks sitting here will wait quietly, faithfully with you--for you are not alone.

Friend, I'll be praying for your pain, too, as I stand watch again tonight over a childless widow to whom the God of the universe sent a single, childless friend to sit by her side--along with the myriads of angels sent to stand guard over them both.

Let's say grace now for what we are all about to receive.

Amen.

No comments: